Australian Taxation Office  Individual Auto-Registration

Tax file number application or enquiry

Who can apply for a tax file number online?

You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online only if you are currently in Australia and you have:

  • a valid permanent migrant visa
  • a valid visa with work rights
  • a valid overseas student visa
  • a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely.
Only one TFN will ever be issued to you. Once you have a TFN , you don't need to re-apply for one if your circumstances change, for example, if you change your name, have investments or claim government benefits.

If you know your TFN but wish to advise the ATO of changes to your details, you can update some details online if you have a myGov account linked to the ATO, or refer to updating my details on our website.

If you already have a TFN, complete this application if:
  • you want to know what your TFN is and your details have changed since you last applied
  • you would like a copy of your TFN advice
  • you need to confirm your identity details with the ATO.
Your TFN will then be sent to you.

If you need more information, visit your nearest ATO shopfront or phone 13 28 61. If you do not speak English well and need help from the ATO, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50. If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, phone the ATO through the National Relay Service (NRS) on the numbers listed below:
  • TTY users – phone 13 36 77 and ask for the ATO number you need
  • Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) users – phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the ATO number you need
  • internet relay users – connect to the NRS on and ask for the ATO number you need.


Taxation law authorises the ATO to collect information and to disclose it to other government agencies. For information about your privacy go to

© Commonwealth of Australia